Our name Ahipao was gifted to us by Ngāti Pāoa's cultural advisor George Tearoha Kahi, whose ancestors lived on the land our building sits on. Ahipao is the lands te reo Māori name. Our original plan was to use 'Harbourmasters' as our name to highlight the heritage of our building. Harbourmasters was built on North Head in Devonport in 1850 to house Auckland's harbourmasters, and in 1915 it was relocated via barge to Matiatia to be the homestead of the Alison family. However, in consultation, Ngāti Pāoa objected to Harbourmasters as our name as it did not sit right with them to not have any mention of Tangata whenua heritage in the area around Matiatia.
We know it is vital to show respect to those who have come before us and to have harmony with our environment and community; we feel blessed to be granted the rights to use this name.